Because I'm the big sister

I was YM-ing with my aunt, Mak Siah, just now. We talked about many things. And she told me that Mak Yah, who is my other aunt, advised me not to waste money while studying here. I was like "Haaa...bila kakak membazir?" I told Mak Siah that there wasn't enough money to waste because the allowance I got was spent on the flight ticket. Well, there came a small argument. It wasn't a serious one. Don't worry. I was trying to explain to her that people in Malaysia might think that we, students, here are spending the money in an appropriate way like too much of shopping or whatever reasons. But then, our main concern here is the house rent. It is beyond our control, and this coming July, my house rent will increase. So what else to expect? Where are the money that we are supposed to waste? None, see.

Ihsan: Google
It was a hard conversation with Mak Siah because Mak Yah used to live in Jordan. She studied in Al-Bayt University for more than 4 years. And as an additional point, yes, she too was a KPM-sponsored student. She knew it too well that the allowance that we got was more than enough and she could even save some money. I told her that it was different now. Mak Yah's time was more than 10 years back. Nowadays living cost is increasing. That doesn't include with taxes and all. As Mak Siah could sense the way I felt, she then asked me to be cool. That was funny because I didn't get upset. It was just I felt strange. Overseas students, are not rich. We just depend a lot on government's money. In a way, Mak Yah was very lucky because she got the scholarship. Meanwhile my uncle, Pak Cik Din, who was a student from Al-Azhar University was a self-sponsored student which means, my grandparents supported his studies. I could imagine the hardship they went through to support my uncle for almost 6 years studying in Cairo. Anyway, they were both graduated. Alhamdulillah. Maybe that's the reason why she said so. She doesn't want me to trouble Mom and Dad. 
Because I'm the big sister...
I'm not a girl who like to ask for my parents' money. That's not me. I used to be one before, but now I'm trying not to. Even if I have none left, I would still say "Duit ada lagi". I have promised myself that, 3 years here I will never ask for their money. Even the flight ticket, I will absolutely use my own money. I love to spend the money I have for others, I mean my family. I will give whatever they wanted. Last year, I bought my Dad a watch and my Mom a white-gold ring. I don't mind spending even thousand pound just for them. Sometimes I feel like I am the eldest. I could still remember when I was a first year student during my foundation years in KL. The first time I got the allowance from KPM, I went straight away to MidValley, and Sogo to buy new handbag for Mom, and "Baju raya" for my youngest brothers especially Izani. I found great pleasure doing that. Seriously. And even last year, I paid for Adek Yong's and Izani's "kasut raya". My Mom gave her money, but I refused to use them. If only I still have the chance to buy them new shirts and shoes, I will surely do. 

I just want to give whatever my youngest brothers and sister ask. At least I try to. It same goes to Mom and Dad. They have used a lot of money just to grow me up. So, why not I pay them in return?

p/s: The reason I go back to Malaysia every year is only because of my family. You know why? because the moment you see your parents' eyes, then you'll know if it's worth. And, I wanna be with my brothers, sis-in-laws, sister, and youngest brothers. I wanna be with my family. That's the main reason.

4 Responses so far.

  1. syaftome says:

    i guess the eldest of the family do think the same way...
    they always feels the urge to do anything for their parents...
    or buy anything for them just to put a smile on their faces...

    ps: i wishes all the time that I could do more...

  2. @syaftome

    But i'm the fourth in my family, not the eldest. or maybe because I'm the eldest sister, and I know the responsibility that I hold. maybe...

    InshaAllah, and I hope, Allah will grant more and more happiness in my family, and yours as well =)

  3. Unknown says:

    i'm the eldest..huhu.
    dulu dayun selalu jeles bila tgk kwn2 dapat hadiah, or anything from their sisters & brothers.

    So, sejak dari tu dayun selalu keep on my mind yg dayun akan cuba bagi je apa yang adik2 minta supaya diaorang tak rasa apa yg dayun rasa. kdg2 rasa lain je bila lama dah tak balik umah, then bila balik tak bawa balik apa2 tuk mereka.

    erti hidup pada memberi kan aida.. kita akan rasa gembira bila lihat mereka gembira. lagipun bazirkan duit yg ada untuk dikongsi dgn family sendiri lg bermakna dr guna untuk diri snediri je... u r da best!

  4. Sumaiyyah says:

    I think 'kakak's are always like that. My older sister goes crazy whenever she gets money (she'll kill me for saying this) and never remembers to save any for herself. I love splurging too, when it comes to my family.

    Sebab tu duit tak pernah bertimbun. But the faces of your loved ones are worth it, right?

Leave a Reply